At CD Barnes Construction our most valued resource remains our people. Our team of construction professionals have an average tenure of 15 years with our company. Our team consists of various positions including: business development professionals, estimators, project managers, site managers, project engineers, and office professionals.
Although we may not have any immediate openings we are always eager and willing to accept resumes from talented and qualified candidates for positions as they become available. If you are interested in employment, please send us your resume today.
CD Barnes Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Resumes can be dropped off, mailed, or emailed to:
CD Barnes Construction
3437 Eastern Ave. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49508
About the Company
Using the most modern technology available today, CD Barnes Construction is the contractor behind many state-of-the-art facilities throughout Michigan and the Midwest region. In the Education, Healthcare, Retail, Industrial, Office and Multi-Residential industries, CD Barnes has been keeping Michigan strong—one building at a time. Though buildings are created with brick and mortar, our projects are not just about building materials, but about long-term and ongoing relationships with our clients; some of which date back to our founding in 1954.
Director of Preconstruction Services
The Director of Preconstruction Services directs and supervises activities related to preconstruction, including conceptual estimates, bid estimates and other deliverables. Demonstrates an exceptional ability to effectively conduct preconstruction services issues with clients, architects, engineers, consultants and contractors.
Responsibilities & Roles
Determine and identify projects to pursue with our business development and executive team.
Perform the following tasks for projects in the preconstruction stage:
- Attend pre-bid meetings and post bid interviews
- Prepare progress estimates at conceptual, schematic and design milestones
- Review drawings and advise for constructability and value analysis purposes
- Assemble, determine and administer all drawings, specifications, addendums, requests for information, scopes of work, bid packages and project schedules
- Produce an invitation to bid and distribute to all selected vendors and suppliers
- Prepare preliminary costs, estimate summaries, guaranteed maximum prices, clarifications, assumptions, risk mitigation and submit final bid estimates
- Assist project teams with completing post bid interviews with vendors and suppliers
- Conduct bid openings with the clients and make contractor recommendations
- Manage the vendor database by adding, removing and updating supplier/contractor information
- Establish and maintain relationships with new and existing clients
Required Experience & Skills
- Ten to fifteen years of experience in construction management preconstruction services with a focus estimating commercial and/or multi-residential construction projects
- Bachelor’s degree from a 4 year accredited university
- Experience with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and Project
- Thorough working knowledge and understanding of all project management control systems (scheduling, estimating, cost control, procurement and business development)
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Fundamental knowledge of contract law and project accounting
- Leadership ability
Commercial or Multi-Family Site Manager (Superintendent)
A Site Manager (Superintendent) directs and supervises all the day-to-day construction activities on the job site while maintaining safety, quality and schedule needs. They must possess the knowledge, skills and experience required to manage the day-to-day field operations.
Responsibilities & Roles
- Direct, monitor and communicate daily field activities with subcontractors in order to meet the project schedule milestones and completion.
- Coordinate, conduct and/or attend preconstruction and progress meetings with estimators, owners, architects, subcontractors and local officials.
- Review and have a firm understanding of project contract documents (drawings, specifications, addendums, requests for information, scopes of work, change orders, etc.).
- Complete and maintain daily paperwork such as field reports, inspections, permits, timesheets, schedule updates, safety reports, drawing changes and email correspondence.
- Continuously manage and review subcontractor’s work to ensure compliance with contract documents, terms and legal standards.
- Ensure the execution of activities are compliant with all client specific programs and guidelines.
- Manage and coordinate prompt punchlist and closeout procedures.
Required Experience & Skills
- 10+ years of related experience required.
- Basic Microsoft Office and computer related experience.
- Thorough working knowledge and understanding of all project contract documents (schedules, drawings, specifications, requests for information, scopes of work, change orders, etc.).
- Effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Fundamental knowledge of all federal, state and local construction codes and safety standards.
- First Aid/CPR certification required.
- Leadership, problem solving, negotiation, time management, documentation, forecasting and decision making skills and experience are required.